Radiation Week 3

Episode LX: There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light


Another week was officially over... 3 weeks (15 zaps) completed!!! I was only a few days away from being midway through my radiation treatment...


I am almost halfway there...

I found that I was getting a darker version of pink on my treatment area, but mainly around the top of my chest, under the breast, and on my nipple. Everything was darkening. Everything was more sensitive. Everything was more painful to the touch. Don't touch that!!!


The pink is beginning to darken as of week 3...


At the end of the week I had gotten a new side effect... pain. It felt like ice picks stabbing into my chest. The radiation was really getting into my body and really getting after my nerves! Ouch! Of course this was not a common side effect, but I would get it. I love that I get all the weird stuff!!!

Other than that I was tired. I was so tired that I found I could not stay awake sometimes. If I did not get a nap, I was off to bed at crazy early hours. If I did nap, I was still tired, but functioned better in the afternoon. And trust me, my family wants me to function. I found that I could actually sleep sitting up... an ability that has always alluded me!


Me wanting sleep...


I was off my chemo medications, but found that without Tylenol and Tylenol PM... I was a very sore person. However, I was moving along and my treatments were passing by. Another Friday arrived and I was ready to get a few days off and try to recover from the increasing treatment side effects. 


3 weeks & 15 zaps down...

In my head...


I am still keeping my head up and finding humor in all of these crazy things I am enduring. On one day this week, I remember seeing a hair caught in the radiation machine from the lady who went before me. I teased them about torturing her before they finally removed her hair. This will not be my issue, as I do not have any hair. That machine cannot pull any hair from my head... even if it is right next to my body!!!

Even in all the pain and discomfort, there is so much joy. I have really enjoyed meeting so many new people (nurses, techs, doctors, patients) that I only hope they are gaining from me as much as I am gaining from them!


“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
- Winston Churchill


Episode Reference: Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise, The Avett Brothers song

No comments:

Post a Comment